BLESSINGS IN MY LIFE AS A SEMINARIAN

Rev. Fr. Cordova then extended to me the invitation of His Excellency, Most Rev. Constancio Jurgens, the Bishop of Tuguegarao Diocese, to be trained at the San Jacinto Seminary for the priesthood. This was a surprise for me because I never dreamed of becoming a priest. However, I welcomed the invitation and entered the seminary, which was then housed at the Bishop’s Palace in Tuguegarao, in the year 1943. I was one of those then called the “Palacio Boys”. The Father Rector was Rev. Fr. Oscar Deltour, CICM, and among my instructors were Mr. Diosdado Chan, and Rev. Fr. Remudaro, a diocesan priest. My co-palacio boys were: Vicente Manaligod, Elpidio Durian, Cesar Tagal (now Msgr. Cesar Tagal, H.P.), Francisco Jocson (now Fr. Jocson), Ceferino Cepeda, Jose Buñag, Nestor Romero, and Cresencio Pagaddu. I enjoyed their camaraderie and although at times we had misunderstandings, we felt a bond of love uniting us in our priestly vocation.

The greatest blessing that I received during this period of my life was the loving care of Rev. Fr. Oscar Deltour, our Rector (may He rest in peace). Having been afflicted with osteomyelitis, a bone disease, he brought me by plane to Manila to be operated on. After the operation, he simply nursed me for more than two months at the Convent of the Carmelite Nuns in Gilmore, Quezon City. Indeed, God’s love for me was visibly manifested by the patience and perseverance with which Father Oscar took care of me.

I continued my studies as a seminarian at the Immaculate Conception Seminary in Vigan, Ilocos Sur. There I finished the college course of Philosophy in 1950. In this seminary, I received so many blessings of friendship and loving care from priests and seminarians. Afflicted with “osteomyelitis” for a period of eight years, in spite of two major operations, I became the recipient of much concern and sympathy. Worth mentioning were those who served me unselfishly for my medical treatment and physical needs whenever I had to be confined in bed in order to recuperate. They were Rev. Fr. Holobrady, SVD, Victorino Ligot who became the First Bishop of the Diocese of San Fernando, La Union, and Marcelo Bassig who received the distinquished papal awards of Honorary Prelate and Protonotary Apostolic and is now the Parish Priest of Iguig. During this time, I also had the privilege of communing with some seminarians who later on became outstanding prelates of the Church, namely: the late Msgr. Narciso Allag H.P.,P.A., Msgr. Vicente Catral H.P.,P.A., Msgr. Juan S. Quinto H.P., Most Rev. Diosdado Talamayan, our present Archbishop in the Archdiocese of Tuguegarao, Most Rev. Ramon Villena, Most Rev. Miguel Purugganan, Most Rev. Edmundo Abaya, the late Most Rev. Emiliano Dumangeng and Most Rev. Sebastian Dalis. Through all of them, God bestowed on me the blessings of a true Christian love that is manifested in words and deeds.

In the Immaculate Conception Seminary, God blessed me with a very wonderful experience which now and then comes back to my memory. I was just standing in a corner of the building and was awed by the dripping of water when I sensed that there was a very Special Someone present. I recall that I just remained still – magnetized by the Sacred Presence and experiencing within me a wonderful feeling of peace and tranquility.

In 1951, wanting to be a Religious Priest like Father Oscar, who deeply impressed me as a model priest in holiness, I manifested my desire to join the CICM (Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary). Since there was no novitiate yet in the Philippines for the CICM, I was sent to St. Francis de Sales Seminary at Lipa City to study Theology. There I had as one of my classmates His Eminence Ricardo Cardinal Vidal whose simplicity and humility inspired me a lot. Although considered as among the most outstanding students in the seminary, he maintained a low profile in dealing with us – offering his services whenever needed, especially as our organist.

In 1953, the CICM opened its Novitiate at Baguio City. Six of us, namely: Fronton Buendia, Prudencio Costales, Teofilo Pagaduan, Jose Saplala, Carolino Villanueva, and myself, finished a one year novice training under the Rectorship of Rev. Fr. George Hantson, CICM. At the end of this training, we took the vows of a Religious for one year and thus, historically, we were the first Filipinos who became members of the CICM. I then continued my studies as a third year theologian at Mirador Hill in Baguio City with the Jesuit scholastics. Somehow I did not feel at ease in my relationship with my superiors and so I opted to leave the seminary. I was advised, however, to join the diocesan clergy in Tuguegarao. So, I presented myself to Most Rev. Juan Sison, the Diocesan Administrator at that time. Bishop Sison cordially welcomed me but had to write to Rome for their approval in accepting me. Meanwhile I made a novena asking God to enlighten me regarding my vocation. After the novena, I felt that the life of a priest which I observed when I visited several parishes was not meant for me. Hence, I sought an audience with His Excellency Bishop Sison and told him my decision of not pursuing anymore the priestly vocation. He immediately accepted my decision and added: “Don’t change your decision anymore, for the world also needs good laymen. But, I just want you to know that I received today the approval of Rome for your acceptance.” With these words of His Excellency, I felt that God wanted me to serve Him as a layman.

No comments: