BLESSINGS IN MY CHILDHOOD

Through my parents, Tomas Mora Cagurangan and Toribia Cammayo Birung,
God has deigned to bring me into existence and see the light of day in this world on September 29, 1928, at Cataggaman Viejo, Tuguegarao, Cagayan. Being born on the Feast of St. Michael the Archangel, my parents first thought of naming me Miguel. However, because of my ceaseless crying, they decided to rename me Salvador, having been born on a Saturday. This, I was told, stopped my crying. Later on, they got word from old folks in the community that my great-great-grandfather was called Salvador.

Both my parents were very religious. They never missed going to Mass on Sundays and Holidays of Obligation, except when they got sick. Blessed with a big family of eight children but with scarce economic resources, they managed to live a simple life, maintain a modest homestead and labored to send all of us their children to school up to the tertiary level. Through their loving care my brothers, sisters and I grew as healthy children with the necessary educational training. Through their word and example, they succeeded to instill in my heart, the virtues of honesty and courage to stand for what is right.

My father was a soldier, an enlisted man who reached the rank of Master Sgt., and later promoted to the honor of a 2nd Lieutenant upon his retirement. He was a daily Mass participant, oftentimes serving as a sacristan. People in our barangay at Cataggaman Viejo looked up to Papa for leadership. Hence, for three consecutive terms, he was elected Barangay Captain even if he did not do any campaigning for himself. He gained the love and confidence of the people through his sincere unselfish service to their needs. He especially cared for the sick and aged, applying his know-how and skill having been a “practicante” or nurse at the Philippine Constabulary. He died on Sept. 13, 1995, only 15 days short before reaching his 92nd birthday. God gave me the privilege to assist Rev. Fr. Ricardo Baccay, the parish priest of Cataggaman then, in administering to him the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick and the Viaticum. Fifteen minutes after receiving Jesus in Holy Communion, when he still managed to answer with a loud “Amen”, he expired.

All my uncles and auntie on my father’s side have already gone to the next life.

My mother was a simple housewife who labored as a market vendor in order to augment the meager earnings of my father. She was very frugal with the household expenses but when it came to the education of us her children, she sacrificed whatever treasures she had to meet the necessary expenses. I can never forget her sacrifice in June 1941 when I needed money for enrollment as a First Year High School student at the Cagayan National High School. In order to provide for my school fees, she pawned her sewing machine to a relative by affinity for twenty-five pesos. Sad to recall, when she wanted to redeem the machine, that relative simply refused to give it up at any cost. My mother could not help but just cry and pray. Her consolation came when I was given a full scholarship to study at the seminary by our then Bishop, Most Rev. Constancio Jurgens. Mama was operated on for breast cancer and was supposed to undergo “chemotherapy”. At the advise of my sister, Luz, who have had the experience to nurse cancer patients in Canada, the prescribed therapy on her was not pushed through. Instead, Ofel & I soaked her with constant prayers and gave her the greatest of all medicines regularly – Jesus in Holy Communion. She lived for several years more after her operation and outlived Papa for six years. Due to general physical weakness she succumbed on April 3, 2001 at the age of almost 92 with all of us, her children present at her bedside. God has blessed me with a mother, so loving, caring and sacrificing and whose memory will ever remain in my heart and mind until we meet again in the next life.

On my mother’s side, there is still one remaining auntie whom we usually address as “Ina Ines” (Mrs. Ines Birung Lappay). She is now about 88 years old and is experiencing the vicissitudes of old age. Due to some circumstances, my family (that is, I, my late wife, Pilar, and our children) lived with her for about six months in 1975 at her residence in Cataggaman Viejo. I am, indeed, very grateful for her hospitality in accommodating us in her home.

No comments: